- Support Checkerboard Hill on Patreon!
Subscribe via emailJoin 377 other subscribers
advertising Australia aviation Beijing buses China China Railways construction depots driving East Rail freeways history Hong Kong Hong Kong International Airport KCR Kowloon Kowloon Canton Railway Lantau Island light rail line guide locomotive Macau mainland maintenance Mass Transit Railway MTR mystery New Territories Octopus card on the road on the water Outlying Islands rail operations railway railway signalling Shanghai television commercials tourist trap trains trams tunnels underground Victoria Harbour West Rail
- 2022 (19)
- 2021 (27)
- 2020 (27)
- 2019 (26)
- 2018 (26)
- 2017 (27)
- 2016 (28)
- 2015 (15)
- 2014 (13)
- 2013 (6)
- 2012 (9)
- 2011 (73)
- 2010 (14)
- December (14)
- ‘The Queen Was Here’ plaque at Hung Hom station
- Looking back at Hong Kong’s pig trains
- Swapping left and right on the Tuen Ma Line
- “Pretty as a postcard” at Hung Hom station
- Ticket touts and the Hong Kong – Macau ferry
- Macau’s exclave in Mainland China
- ‘Flying’ to Macau on a Boeing 929 Jetfoil
- Beijing’s dead end expressway
- Catching the train to the Great Wall of China
- Ghost platforms on the Beijing Subway at Dongsishitiao
Monthly Archives: April 2011
Casinos drive the Macau economy, but what else does the city have to offer those who don’t gamble? Macau is a city at the crossroads of different cultures: the Portuguese heritage of Macau is unique in the region, the city having roots as a trading post in the 16th century. The most iconic example of Macau’s Portuguese heritage is the Ruins of St. Paul’s…
Macau is an odd city – for foreign tourists the main lure is the mix of Portuguese and Chinese culture, but for the majority of Hong Kong people it is all about the casinos.
While in Hong Kong I visited a number of model railway shops to see if they had anything interesting – so what did I find?
During my no-so-recent trip overseas I encountered the uniquely Japanese way of selling collectable models – the 12 piece “collection”. On finding this collection of boxes on the hotel floor, I’m sure that housekeeping thought they had stumbled on some bizarre kind of drug runner.