- Support Checkerboard Hill on Patreon!
Subscribe via emailJoin 377 other subscribers
advertising Australia aviation Beijing buses China China Railways construction depots driving East Rail freeways history Hong Kong Hong Kong International Airport KCR Kowloon Kowloon Canton Railway Lantau Island light rail line guide locomotive Macau mainland maintenance Mass Transit Railway MTR mystery New Territories Octopus card on the road on the water Outlying Islands rail operations railway railway signalling Shanghai television commercials tourist trap trains trams tunnels underground Victoria Harbour West Rail
- 2022 (19)
- 2021 (27)
- 2020 (27)
- 2019 (26)
- 2018 (26)
- 2017 (27)
- 2016 (28)
- 2015 (15)
- 2014 (13)
- 2013 (6)
- 2012 (9)
- 2011 (73)
- 2010 (14)
- December (14)
- ‘The Queen Was Here’ plaque at Hung Hom station
- Looking back at Hong Kong’s pig trains
- Swapping left and right on the Tuen Ma Line
- “Pretty as a postcard” at Hung Hom station
- Ticket touts and the Hong Kong – Macau ferry
- Macau’s exclave in Mainland China
- ‘Flying’ to Macau on a Boeing 929 Jetfoil
- Beijing’s dead end expressway
- Catching the train to the Great Wall of China
- Ghost platforms on the Beijing Subway at Dongsishitiao
Monthly Archives: September 2011
Ten years ago a passenger waiting for a train on the East Rail Line had a good chance of seeing a lengthy freight train go speeding past, but over the intervening years the consists had shrunk to just a single wagon, and by June 2010 there were no freights at all. So why did they disappear?
Working hard, or hardly working? People have often said standing around directing traffic all day is an easy job, but this guy takes it to the next level: sitting down and turning the stop/go sign. So in what other ways are the construction crews of Hong Kong different different to those around the world?
Most of the time when travelling on Hong Kong’s Mass Transit Railway the carriages are packed to the rafters, with the only thing visible being other passengers. So what do they look like when they empty out?