- Support Checkerboard Hill on Patreon!
Subscribe via emailJoin 377 other subscribers
advertising Australia aviation Beijing buses China China Railways construction depots driving East Rail freeways history Hong Kong Hong Kong International Airport KCR Kowloon Kowloon Canton Railway Lantau Island light rail line guide locomotive Macau mainland maintenance Mass Transit Railway MTR mystery New Territories Octopus card on the road on the water Outlying Islands rail operations railway railway signalling Shanghai television commercials tourist trap trains trams tunnels underground Victoria Harbour West Rail
- 2022 (20)
- 2021 (27)
- 2020 (27)
- 2019 (26)
- 2018 (26)
- 2017 (27)
- 2016 (28)
- 2015 (15)
- 2014 (13)
- 2013 (6)
- 2012 (9)
- 2011 (73)
- 2010 (14)
- December (14)
- Traverser and a turntable at Kowloon Bay Depot
- ‘The Queen Was Here’ plaque at Hung Hom station
- Looking back at Hong Kong’s pig trains
- Swapping left and right on the Tuen Ma Line
- “Pretty as a postcard” at Hung Hom station
- Ticket touts and the Hong Kong – Macau ferry
- Macau’s exclave in Mainland China
- ‘Flying’ to Macau on a Boeing 929 Jetfoil
- Beijing’s dead end expressway
- Catching the train to the Great Wall of China
Tag Archives: dining out
There is a saying that goes “You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline”. While Hong Kong might not be a real country, as the home of Cathay Pacific it does have it’s own airline. But what about a local beer?
When westerners visit Chinese restaurants, the idea of a secret’ menu that only Chinese people get is a common one – and on my last visit to Hong Kong I finally encountered one, on the popular tourist island of Cheung Chau.
Milk seems to be a difficult product to track down in Hong Kong. During my stay I felt like having a nice bowl of corn flakes with milk: finding breakfast cereal wasn’t too hard at the local supermarket, but the milk aisle was a bit different to what I am used to seeing in Australia.
The oddness is also seen at the Yee Shun Milk Company – they specialise in steamed milk puddings… Continue reading