- Support Checkerboard Hill on Patreon!
Subscribe via email
- 2022 (10)
- 2021 (27)
- 2020 (27)
- 2019 (26)
- 2018 (26)
- 2017 (27)
- 2016 (28)
- 2015 (15)
- 2014 (13)
- 2013 (6)
- 2012 (9)
- 2011 (73)
- 2010 (14)
- December (14)
- Ghost platforms on the Beijing Subway at Dongsishitiao
- Standard metro trains of China
- Hong Kong buses with doors on both sides
- Shanghai to Beijing by high speed train
- Railfan’s guide to Shanghai, China
- Cable hauled trains under Shanghai’s Huangpu River
- Exploring the Shanghai Metro
- Exploring the Beijing Subway
- Soy milk confusion in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong loves butter cookies!
Tag Archives: Island Line
The other day I found this meme making fun of crowded trains on the MTR, and thought the photo looked a bit familiar. A case of déjà vu, or something else?
On December 28, 2014 the new West Island Line of the MTR opened, extending the existing Island Line to the western end of Hong Kong Island at Kennedy Town. Along the way are two intermediate stations – Sai Ying Pun and HKU – which both feature something new on the rail network of Hong Kong: ‘lift-only entrances’.