- Support Checkerboard Hill on Patreon!
Subscribe via emailJoin 379 other subscribers
advertising Australia aviation Beijing buses China China Railways construction depots driving East Rail freeways history Hong Kong Hong Kong International Airport KCR Kowloon Kowloon Canton Railway Lantau Island light rail line guide locomotive Macau mainland maintenance Mass Transit Railway MTR mystery New Territories Octopus card on the road on the water Outlying Islands rail operations railway railway signalling Shanghai television commercials tourist trap trains trams tunnels underground Victoria Harbour West Rail
- 2022 (25)
- 2021 (27)
- 2020 (27)
- 2019 (26)
- 2018 (26)
- 2017 (27)
- 2016 (28)
- 2015 (15)
- 2014 (13)
- 2013 (6)
- 2012 (9)
- 2011 (73)
- 2010 (14)
- December (14)
- MTR JMD1200FX diesel electric locomotives
- Hong Kong taxi on the streets of Toronto
- Farewell to the MTR Phase 2 Light Rail Vehicles
- KCR ‘Yellow Head’ trains at the MTR Kowloon Bay Depot
- Building Telford Gardens atop the MTR depot at Kowloon Bay
- Traverser and a turntable at Kowloon Bay Depot
- ‘The Queen Was Here’ plaque at Hung Hom station
- Looking back at Hong Kong’s pig trains
- Swapping left and right on the Tuen Ma Line
- “Pretty as a postcard” at Hung Hom station
Tag Archives: observation deck
I mentioned Victoria Peak in passing in a recent post about places to see the Hong Kong skyline: but how do you actually get up there? It turns out you have a few options: the Peak Tram is just one of them.
One of the must see places to visit in Hong Kong is Victoria Peak: once you get to the top, you can see the glass skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island, the boats on Victoria Harbour, the everyday apartment blocks of Kowloon, and finally Lion Rock atop the mountains in the distance.
The only downside is that every man and their dog also turns up there: resulting in long lines for the Peak Tram that runs up the hill, and price gouging when you finally get up there. However, there is at least one more sky high vantage point you can visit, and this one is free.